Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pursuing the Savior King

I took the name for my blog from one of my favorite worship songs "Savior King" by Hillsong. Ok, they spell it different, but I am American so that is how I will write it.

Due to extreme pressures from my friends I have created another blog (yes, I do have others you don't know!).

Being far away form everyone and everything you know does odd things. Especially when you witness the spiritual depravity absolutely rampant in our world, that perhaps we do not see as much when we are mostly hanging out with friends who are Christians, and seek to build each other up spiritually.

Hebrews 12:1-3
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I feel that this verse is very pertinent to what I am facing right now. I feel that I am totally consumed with winning approval from others, and that it is keeping me from pursuing Christ more fully or living life fully.

Example:
Sunday I come down to breakfast in my pajamas at the hotel we are living at for six weeks in Sicily. Apparently, this is taboo even though people have been doing it for a week and no one said anything before. But, it was the weekend and I was going to sleep after I ate breakfast, so I just went down to breakfast. This is pretty typical I think in American culture, I mean most people on the weekend at the Pit are in PJs. Well, apparently the other Italians were shocked and offended and upset with us. Which we don't find out until yesterday. I am not going to lie, I have been pretty upset about it. I am really hurt that now they have a bad impression of me because I was wearing my T-shirt and pajama pants. And it has really burdened me.

Last night I realized how completely ridiculous the whole situation is. God does not care if I am wearing pajamas, that is not what he is concerned with, He looks at my heart. And He knows that my heart was in no way looking to offend them, and that instead I do want to show respect. Thus, it is completely pointless to keep beating myself up over this situation when the only person that I should be concerned with, God, is not judging me for this mistake!

That is so comforting. I can come how I am, without all these ridiculous, cumersome burdens society places on us and just come open, as I am, to Him.

I have no idea if any of this makes sense. But I will leave you with the lyrics that inspired the title.

Verse 1
And now the weak say I have strength
By the spirit of power
that raised Christ from the dead
And now the poor stand and confess
That my portion is You
and I'm more blessed

Pre-chorus
Let now our hearts burn with a flame
A fire consuming all for your Son's holy name
And with the heavens we declare
You are our king

Chorus
We love you Lord,
we worship you
You are our God, you alone are good
You asked your Son to carry this
The heavy cross our weight of sin
I love you Lord, I worship you
Hope which was lost, now stands renewed
I give my life to honor this
The love of Christ, the savior king

Verse 2
Let now your church shine as the bride
That you soar in your heart as you offered up your life
Let now the lost be welcomed home
By the saved and redeemed those adopted as your own

Ending
I give my life to honor this
The love of Christ, the savior king

3 comments:

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy said...

Haha, love the buckling under peer pressure. Mission accomplished.

Interesting story... I feel it may be "too soon" to make a joke about it. Lol

By the way, we sang that at Calvary on Sunday... good stuff :).

Jeremy said...

Wow Anna,
You really are blogging... a lot.